Sell My House Quickly in Reading
Sell My House Quickly found another interesting article about Reading’s Empty Homes. Reading landlord’s dangerous property where people could have been trapped if there was a fire. Electrical cables were taped over, there was no current gas safety certificate, and the escape route was not fire resistant.
A landlord has been hit with a record fine over safety failings at a home he owns that were so dangerous it could have left the people living there trapped if there was a fire.
Reading Borough Council prosecuted Mohammed Naseer Zamir, 41, over the house of multiple occupancy (HMO) in Short Street.
He has been hit with a £66,000 fine over the failings, which the council says is a record amount.
The court heard how between October 2019 and February 2020, the council’s Private Sector Housing Team made several visits to the home.
Zamir had claimed the home consisted of two self-contained flats, each of which was occupied by a single household. However, the council’s investigations found each flat was in multiple occupation.
Officers also found some serious security and fire safety failings, as well as general disrepair.
These included the main external entrance door to the HMO being insecure and in poor repair, leaving the property vulnerable to intruders.
Inspectors also found the escape route from the home was not fire resistant and was in poor repair, and fire precautions in the property were not being maintained – meaning it could have left the people living there trapped if there was a fire.
The council also found other safety issues like electrical sockets near the shower cubicles, taped up electric cable to a fridge freezer, disrepair to other electrical sockets and no current gas safety certificate.
We found this article about Reading Landlord’s Dangerous Property on BerkshireLive. Kindly click the link to read the full story.
At Sell My House Quickly Reading, we pay fair prices for any property fast and quick so please feel free to Contact us here for more details.